December 6, 2018 at 8:11 PM
As announced on November 26, 2018, Air Canada, along with the financial support of TD Bank, CIBC, and Visa Canada, intend to proceed with the purchase of Aimia Canada Inc. This acquisition must now proceed for shareholder approval which is scheduled for January 8, 2019. The regulatory approval of the purchase is anticipated in late January 2019.
Unifor and the Bargaining Committee is seeking the answers to the many questions and concerns that have been brought forward by the membership. We are aware that the members are anxiously awaiting further information, and as we wait, we will continue to present these questions on a regular basis.
As the parties’ transition (including Unifor) through the various regulatory approvals, at this point in time, we can confirm the following:
- Until further notice, the employer will remain as Aimia Canada Inc. as a wholly owned subsidiary of Air Canada.
- The Aeroplan unit is a separate bargaining unit, and the current Aeroplan Collective Agreement remains in place until a new one is negotiated.
- The Aeroplan Bargaining Committee is continuing to prepare for collective bargaining. We will advise the membership once the dates and times are confirmed.
- Unifor has secured an agreement (in writing) that both the Vancouver and Montreal offices will remain open until at least January 1, 2026, unless otherwise agreed by the parties.
- The Aeroplan program will continue as is until Air Canada’s new loyalty program is launched in 2020.
The Union continues to work on providing our members with answers to the following questions (see below). Once we have the answers, we will ensure to communicate them with the membership.
- Are we Air Canada employees?
- Will bargaining for the new contract take place with Air Canada?
- Will there be a change in management in the Montreal or Vancouver offices?
- Will our seniority transfer to Air Canada and will they recognize our Company service?
- When will we receive Air Canada travel privileges?
We understand that this communication may not address all the questions and answers that our members may have regarding the purchase of Aeroplan, so we ask that you please direct any additional questions or concerns to your Bargaining Representatives and/or your District Office.
The Bargaining Committee thanks you for your continued support. In addition, please ensure that have subscribe onto website at www.unifor2002.org
in order to receive news alerts.
Your Bargaining Committee,
Vince De Sua
Josee Genois, Assistant to President Local 2002
Euila Leonard, President Unifor Local 2002
Leslie Dias, National Staff Representative