September 14, 2021 at 5:14 PM
Last week, your bargaining committee met with the company to negotiate a new collective agreement. We were set to meet with the company this week to finalize the non-monetary proposals, unfortunately, the company has backtracked on some of its positions with regards to the monetary and non-monetary demands.
On September 13, late in the afternoon, after lengthy discussions and debates, the bargaining committee decided to take the next step and enter into conciliation. As a result, Unifor has filed a request for conciliation.
What is the CONCILIATION PROCESS?
Unifor Files Notice of Conflict with Federal Minister of Labour
- Unifor files a Notice of Dispute to the Federal Minister of Labour
- Minister will appoint a Federal Conciliation Officer within 15 days
- The Conciliator will meet with Union and Employer over a 60-day period to facilitate negotiations
- The parties may agree to extend the conciliation period if negotiations are progressing
- At the end of this period, the parties enter a 21 day "cooling off period"
- Conciliator files report to the Federal Minister of Labour
- While in conciliation, the Company may not lock out employees and the Union may not go on strike. Strike action is only ever taken as a last resort and after conditions (such as a strike vote and 72 hours advance notice) are met
Although we have filed a request for conciliation, we would like to remind members that this is only the next step in the negotiation process. It's hoped the injection of conciliators will move things forward. Your union is confident that we can achieve a fair and equitable agreement that reflects the hard work of our members.
Your Bargaining Committee is committed to keeping you informed on developments as they unfold. Please ensure you have subscribed to Unifor 2002 e-news
Your Unifor Bargaining Committee
Quentin Verchèere, Bargaining Committee Representative
Joel Jegou, Bargaining Committee Representative
Josée Genois, Assistant to the Local President
Ronald Nantel, Unifor National Representative
For more information, please contact:
, Assistant to the Local President